What I can help you with
- I help SaaS companies grow by crafting their software product into a tool people want to use.
- I'm a fullstack developer with a focus on front end for modern web apps.
- I've helped B2B SaaS companies to make big improvements to the user's experience.
- My specialty is small teams and startups who need someone who can see the big picture and get things done when you don’t yet have specialists in every role.
- Talk to me if you want to see if I can help you.
My software philosophy
- ❤️ If we're going to make software, we should be making the world a better place.
- 💻 Most of the time that people are frustrated while using a computer, it's because the software is not well designed, and is making their life worse.
- 👓 You have to get out of your technical head, and look at the world and the problem through other lenses.
- 🔬 T shaped skills and knowledge is crucial for the modern developer. My deep knowledge is in building software. Especially web app frontends for B2B SaaS products. But I've built a lot of other skills up which can support that.
Things I've done
- 🧮 I'm a fullstack developer at AssetAccountant. We're a young Australian fintech startup building a depreciation SaaS product for accountants. One of my big projects has been giving the UI a complete refresh. The stack is Angular and .NET.
- 🛳️ On the side I'm working with a cofounder to bootstrap a SaaS product for the travel industry. Covid put everything on pause (terrible timing!), but we plan to pick things up as travel resumes. I won't say too much because we think we have something pretty special.
- 📦 Previously I was at Tidy, a small New Zealand SaaS company making project and inventory management software. I lead our move from legacy MVC .NET to an Angular PWA.
- 👨💼Before software I was a marketing consultant for local service businesses like plumbers, hair salons, dentist, etc. I was helping them with SEO, websites, copy, positioning, video, etc. It was the early days of online marketing for local businesses so I was mostly self taught from short courses, though I did have a diploma in freelance journalism.
- 🎓 I liked the technical side and wanted to switch to software, which felt like a big jump, so I got a computer science degree. I graduated in just two years and three months and my lowest grade was one A-. I was achieved the Dean's Award for Excellence.
- 🐝 Previously I worked with a beekeeping company to market their honey. I developed a concept to sell beehive subscriptions so anyone could 'own' a beehive in New Zealand and get all the honey it produced - we sold these for thousands of dollars. I produced personalised websites, videos and books documenting the story of each owner's honey.
- 🔨 We had a family business, hand crafting high end wooden kitchens and bathrooms. I ran the workshop and did most of the cabinet making.
- ⛵ I've hand built wooden boats with my Dad since I was a kid. Our biggest achievement is Dauntless a 4.5m day sailer which we still sail on Tauranga harbour.
- 🏡 We built our own compact house. I project managed the build as well as designed and hand built the interior including kitchen, bathroom and furniture. It's pretty unique [link]
- 🥝 I'm a Kiwi married to an American.
- 👨👩👦👦 We have four young boys who we teach at home. Yes, it's fun and no it's not relaxing.
- ⛪ I have faith in Jesus Christ, and like to have strong scientific and logical reasons for my beliefs.
- 🏕️ I like sailing, camping, the beach and the mountains.